Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gotta Love the DMV!

Once again I had a befuddling and frustrating day at our wondrous DMV. My license is expiring and new rules require me to appear in person. It is now necessary to produce three pieces of ID for renewal to include 1, the old license, 2, a passport or birth certificate, and 3, a social security
card. I arrived with the passport and license but neglected to bring my ss card. In fact, I don't believe I have seen it since I retired. Never mind, as instructed by my friendly DMV employee, they must apply the new rules evenly to all people applying for license/renewal, and even though we have record that you have been driving for 50 years, we still need proof you have had a ss card and are not trying to work illegally in this country. They sent me and about 10 Mexican nationals 15 blocks down the road to the ss office to get the proper documentation.

Recognizing the faces from the DMV at the SS office, we all quietly waited our turn to see someone who would stamp the paper work needed to get back to the DMV for the coveted license.

Back to the DMV and in line again. I present my new paper work proudly, the employee looks at the new paperwork, looks at me, looks at the paper. "Madame," says she, "this will not do!"
"Your social security number is not on the this temporary form!"
Say What? I went where you said with the paper you gave me and got the stamp and signature you requested, but it's wrong? OK, now what.

"Well, we can issue a temporary (which I can pay for) and you can come back in a few weeks when your new ss card comes in the mail. " " I think not", I say, "I am at the end of my last nerve standing in lines and waiting for formal stamps and documents, so if you don't mind, I'll just drive on home on my expired license and come back tomorrow with my a new note from my mommy and an other fresh ss document."

As I was leaving the office, one of the Mexican fellows who had been to the same circus at the social security office and back again with me says in his heavy accent, Hey Lady, you really got f--ked! Wow, he spoke good English! He made me smile and get over myself. So I'll go back tomorrow and try again to prove I able to drive the roads of Oregon. In the meantime, I'll just show my international drivers license and play dumb if I get stopped.