Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Back in the Kitchen

I've had a metamorphic experience in the kitchen of late. You know, when you get inspired for some reason or another to prepare foods not ordinarily on the menu. It all started Spring break when for the first time in a while, I had no travel plans to a sun my bones (almost translucent white by this time of year). The urge to smell wonderful mouth watering aromas come from my kitchen has not gone as yet.

My culinary resurrection began the Sunday of Spring break with some wonderful long term friends who enjoy strong and distinct flavors and have a real appreciation of good wine and sturdy flavors.

Dinner started with chilled prosecco and a salad of field greens, garbanzos, green onions, garlic, balsamic, EVOO and lemon juice. Our main course was Cioppino full of shell fish and delicate true cod served with garlic bread. It was succulent and delicious with the beautiful Barolo wine. Desert was chocolate, raspberry and vanilla frozen yogurt on a drizzle of crushed raspberries infused with berry liquor, a lemon biscotti, hot fudge/brandy drizzle, topped with fresh raspberries. Of course, lemoncello was served to "settle" the meal. My guests left at midnight, I did dishes until 1:00 which was great, as I was able to settle down, relax my cheeks sore from laughter, and savor the last half glass of lemoncello. Whew, what got into me anyway!

A few days went by and I developed the urge to build something I have always called a honeybee. I again haven't done it for a while, but got the "hungries" for it. Basically it is a rich yellow cake, split into fours and filled with almond liquor cream filling, honey and slivered almonds at each layer and on top, then dusted with powdered sugar. One of those things that doesn't hold well so must be eaten within the day...of course!

Dusting off old dishes and inventing a few new ones has continued until even last night when I pulled out the old rosemary pork never fail recipe but added some garlic sauteed greens and a new fix on cauliflower that I got from my daughters boyfriends family....it's so good. Cauliflower steamed til done, drained and then mashed with butter, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Holy cow! It's sort of faux mashed potatoes with a wonderful texture and taste (not lower in calories I fear) but a lovely change.

I did a fantastic five bean baked beans with sausage, (another friends recipe), Stuffed chicken breasts, Egg Plant Parmesan, tuna and egg tortilla (Spanish style), Bresolla, Albondegas, and an old fashioned Shepard's Pie.

I was reminded about a special chicken breast dish by "Life in the Second Half" that I hadn't made in at least 10 years. Of course, got right on it and fed my family a little trip down memory lane. Thanks for reminding me how great the flavors of artichoke infuse the chicken, potatoes and mushrooms. Yum!

I have to get off the everything sounds good kick and think about the fact that we are only a few months away from having to put on bathing suits at the pool in Sunriver. But....if you have any more irresistible meals I must cook, let me know. I am easily led astray.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful! Sometimes creating in the kitchen can be so cathartic. What better than a group of friends around your table enjoying wonderful flavors and lots of wine? It just doesn't get any better than that. Nice to see you back to bloggy land!

The Meme Mom said...

I love finding old recipes and cooking. Now that I have some time on my hands, I'll round up a few and send your way.

Unknown said...

That sounds like a whole new way to do cauliflower--will have to give it a go....

kanishk said...

Sounds absolutely wonderful!
Work From Home