There has been just something strange about this holiday season and I have not been able to put my finger on exactly what it is. Sometimes I think it's the state of the economy, but that's not enough to have placed a funk on the endorphins that usually rampage through my family this time of year. I think it may be a combo of the gloom of the last 8 years of a vengeful and greedy man as our president running our country into the ground. I also think it is a post election hangover. The energy of working the election and all the expectation was so heady that it took a while to get back to normal.
I think it has to be not having the family in the same space and dynamic as in years gone by. It is so hard to see our loved ones age out of some of their most dearly held traditions. I do know this: The incredibly beautiful snowfall made a huge difference in my perspective during the holiday. It lifted my spirits, cleaned the cobwebs off the joy of the season and put the meaning of Christmas to the forefront at last. I was fortunate to have my daughter, her BF and his sister and husband at Christmas dinner that filled the house with laughter at last.
I am looking forward to a happy and healthy New Year and hope we all get our perspective back to having realistic expectations of one another and life in general. Maybe this time has forced a lot of us to seek a little more simple slice of life and appreciate it more. I don't know. I know my New Year resolution will be the same as it has been for a few years. I will continue until I finally achieve a modicum of success at "being more patient" with myself and others! I know, I know...good luck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You had the very same experience as I did this Christmas. Loving the snow, but "something" not quite right. You were lucky, indeed, to have your child and friends for dinner. I really missed that. I think for me, it was a lingering anxiousness with having my home torn to pieces for so long. That, and the continuous stream of strangers in my personal space (like bathroom!) Rich commented this morning that he was not looking forward to all the workers, on Monday, who will be tying up loose ends. We have at least another week of it. So for me, Christmas is all about a lovely atmosphere, which was missing the entire season. Won't do that again - remodel over the holidays.
My new year's resolution is exactly the same as yours! Patience. I am working on patience.
Post a Comment