My daughter posted a protest over my choice of trees this year.
In my defense of the fake Christmas Tree: I too hate them, and never would have believed I would have one in my house; except that I found myself in circumstances this year that almost negated the tree altogether. It is impossible to cut, put in the stand, do the lights and decorate by myself! My husband has pretty much retired from Christmas although he has always been one to piss on the mood of the holidays (birthdays too). He doesn't do ANYTHING. Oh, he did complain that I had not done enough outdoors. I only went around the lower roof sections with the lights, did the porch and shrubs, put out the lighted candy canes, etc. But the critic needed to move a bulb or two to make it just right. Soooo, this year I got a fake tree and at least got into some of the mood for Christmas. It is not the same. I know that. But had to get it done and took the bull by the horns. I hate seeing my mom slow down. This is HER season, one she dominated and love with a passion. She keeps her Christmas clock up all year round. It's July and we hear CHRISTMAS CAROLES! I was able to get my mother's tree up too, and decorated. I swear it lifted her spirits when we had visible Christmas in the house.
I am being boycotted by my youngest elf in protest of the "fake". She doesn't live here any more is not expected to take over my duties as well as her own. I am hopeful that she is having the happiest holiday season she has ever had because she is incredibly happy. I love it! SHe hates that it doesn't smeel like Christmas at our house(me too). The Glade just doesn't do it. But if one were to read the old Christmas letter I wrote when babies were new, the family all available (I mean like 10 of us) tramping out for the trees, having breakfast, doing the lights, laughing, watching Chevy Chase....well, it certainly isn't the same, I agree. So much of the family dynamic has changed that I almost am anxious for the new regime to take over and let me join the new traditions that they will create. It's a little hard to roll out a 86 year old who wants to do all the old stuff but can't. My answer was to do what I could. Oh well. Maybe next year I'll be able to get back into the spirit without synthetic assistance. The new snow is the one thing that is helping me cope with a very weird and strange feeling I have this year doing the holidays. I want this to be a good one for mom and for her to feel the special attachment she always had for "her month".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well way to make me feel like crap, mom. I was just going for humor but dang!
I have a fake one too. I know, I hate it, but it is permanently kept under the condo in case we ever are here for Christmas - which just so happens... However, my house is still torn up - the tree will go up on Sunday! Not very Christmasy, that's for sure. I am also looking forward to my daughter's starting new traditions. The old ones just don't quite work anymore. We are not close enough for cookie decorating day, or picking out which new building we want for our Dicken's Village, or any of the other stuff that makes Christmas so special. Plus, all my Christmas decorating stuff is still in storage in Minnesota. With Jen recovering, they may not make it here next week. Which, of course, I don't want her to try to do if she is still tired. You are right, it is hard to get the mood this year!
Post a Comment