Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Enough of 2008 Already!

Last night my husband and I took our daughter and her boyfriend to dinner as they were leaving this morning for LA and bringing in the New Year at Disneyland. Sounds like fun and a great way to end 08. Had a nice dinner and better company, paid up and exited the restaurant. Well, almost exited.

My husband did a superman off the last two steps down to the street level, flew off into the double doors with his head, punched through the doors landing outside on his hip. The same side as his 6 months old knee replacement! Long story short, I am writing this as I wait for him to come out of surgery to replace his hip. No, there was not excessive alcohol involved. Truly one beer each. That's it. As he lay in the rain vocalizing his pain, not one single employee of the Racoon Lodge stepped forward to help us. Total strangers put their coats on him, covered his face from the weather and helped us get the ambulance on it's way. Even when we asked for someone from the establishment if they had a procedure for getting help there, they stayed away and said there really isn't any sort of manager available! Is that something? Am I crazy? The four people who helped us were as dumbfounded as I. If my daughter and her boyfriend had not been there for my moral support, there would have been no one to assist the great strangers with getting help while I was trying to comfort my husband as much as I could.
The positive of all this is the amazing help offered by strangers to us. They were just great and gave me hope for human kind. I am thankful one of them slipped me a small peice of paper with their names and phone numbers on it so I will be able to let them know how really greatful we are.

We have had a long day and night but hope that the surgery will begin a rapid recovery for my husband. He has had so much more than his share this year that it is time for a new page in his health status.

So ends my saga for now. More to report after he gets out of surgery. But do me a favor if there is a Racoon Lodge in your area...forget about it!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I am so sorry to hear of your husband's accident! I truly hope he is well soon, although we both know a hip surgery is not an overnight thing. Is any surgery easy?? They now scare me to death! As for the Raccoon Lodge, I am sure they were worried about being sued for not making sure the step was free of ice! Which makes it all the more unforgivable. I have a long memory for establishments of this nature...

Keep us updated. Call your lawyer since they were so helpful. (It reminds me of a friend who's son was bitten in the face by the neighbor's dog. She had no intention of suing them after her son had many stitches in his nose. They just chalked it up to one of those childhood incidents. A few weeks later her son came home upset because he was told the other little boy could not play with him anymore. She told her husband (a lawyer) to sue!)