Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black Saturday


As the stadium filled with hopeful OSU Beavers all turned out in the orange and black, the energy was absolutely palpable. Smiles all around, more than enough pre game "refreshments" to keep the spirits high, and "terrible towels" given out at the gate in hand. We would twirl them in the air and do our first down cheers with them held aloft. Information was exchanged all around about flight and hotel accomodations to Los Angeles; could we get tickets for "Jay Leno"? Maybe get on "The Price is Right" and return home with some loot. Oh, and Disneyland and is in my package, how about yours. Do you have your Rose Bowl tickets ordered? Shopping on Rodeo Drive (looking I suspect), and New Years Eve with the Beaver Boosters all in the California sun in December!

One quarter of football is all it took to get the feeling in the pit of my stomach that things were not going to go so well. It's the bleak understanding that we all looked beyond our arch nemisis, the Oregon Ducks, to the big game New Years day. RATS! As the game proceeded, we showed absolutely no defense (we were rated # 2 defence until today) and actually scored enough points to have won most college games. 38 is good. But, the ducks went on to run up the middle, around the ends and go over the top for so many points and yards I lost count. Holy Moly... talk about pay back! 65 to 38 final score (can you believe 103 total points scored). Are you kidding?

So, I'll be home for Christmas, as will the rest of my family! Won't go to Texas (El Paso) for that Bowl, a decision we had made some time ago. I surely will miss the anticipation that led up to this game. It was fun thinking of all the great times had 44 years ago at the last Rose Bowl I attended. I ran into some old classmates and will no doubt see them from now on at future home games. So that's the end of our football saga circa 2008. What a ride.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh no! So sorry! That would have been a great trip in December - a real boost in this sorry time. I wish we could have had an opportunity for drinks and dinner with the girls. Next time we come to Portland, for sure. Hopefully Jen will be feeling better and we won't be competing with a holiday for time. Girl time is a must!

Mous said...

I think this is weird. Though I am posting anonymously I think you and I am assuming daughter should know My name is Lindsay I am 26 am a cancer and went to OSU (Ohio State) also going though life as Lindz. HAHA if you post back please keep my name a secret.